- 欢迎您访问自学考试网！ 今天是
Chapter 1 Basic Concept of Words and Vocabulary
1. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
A. The English language is noted for its modest borrowings.
B. Loan words only refer to those borrowings in form.
C. Loan words are all unrecognizable as being foreign in origin.
D. Loan words can be grouped according to manner of borrowing.
2. The term "vocabulary "is used in different ways because of all the following reasons EXCEPT that_____.
A. it can refer to the common core of a language
B. it can refer to the total number of the words in a language
C. it can represent all the words used in a certain historical period
D. it can stand for words in a given dialect or field
3. A word is a symbol that________.
A. is used by the same speech community
B. represents something else in the world
C. is both simple and complex in nature
D. shows different ideas in different sounds
4. Some words in the basic word stock are said to be stable because they
A. are complex words.
B. are technical word
C. refer to the commonest things in life.
D. denote the most important concepts.
5. The basic word stock forms the common____of the language.
6. The relationship between sound and meaning is arbitrary or____.
7．Pronouns and numerals enjoy nation-wide use and stability, but have limited_____________
Chapter 2 The Development of the English Vocabulary
1. __is considered to be a highly-inflected language.
A Old English B. Middle English
C. Early Modem English D. Late Modem English
2. The introduction of______ at the end of the'-6th century had a great impact on the English vocabulary.
A. printing, B Christianity C. French words D. all the above
3. Though still at work today, ___can hardly compare with what it was in the past.
A. word-formation B. borrowing C. derivation D. conversion
4. Early Modern English refers to the language spoken
A. from 1066 to 1500 B. from 1150 to 1500
C. from 1500 to 1700 D. from 1600 to 1800
5. Old English has a vocabulary of about_______words.
A. 30,000 to 40,000 B. 50,000 to 60,000
C. 70,000 to 80,000 D. 80,000 to 90,000
6. Besides French words, English also absorbed as many as 2,500 words of___ in the Middle English period.
A. Dutch origin B. Danish origin
C. Latin origin D. Greek origin
简答：Is it true that archaic and obsolete words in English will remain for ever out of use?