- 欢迎您访问自学考试网！ 今天是
Chapter 7 Changes in Word Meaning
1. Transfer as a mode of semantic change can be illustrated by the example:
A. ad for "advertisement" B. dish for "food"
C. fond for" affectionate " D. an editorial for "an editorial article"
2. Degradation can be illustrated by the following example
A. lewd →ignorant B. silly → foolish
C. last →pleasure D. knave → boy
3. The four major modes of semantic change are____.
A. extension, narrowing, elevation and degradation
B. extension, generalization, elevation and degradation
C. extension, narrowing, specialization and degradation
D. extension, elevation, amelioration and degradation
4. The degraded meaning "sexual desire" of the word "lust" comes from its old meaning_____
5. The word ______ has the old meaning ' servant" and the elevated meaning "head of a ministry".
6．The opposite of semantic elevation in meaning change is called________