- 欢迎您访问自学考试网！ 今天是
Chapter 8 Meaning and Context
1. Context _____ meaning.
A. explains B. interprets C. defines D all the above
2. It is a general belief that the meaning does not exist in the word itself, but it rather spreads over___.
A. the reader's interpretation B. the neighboring words
C. the writer's intention D. the etymology of the word
3. The words which occur before or after a word and may affect its meaning form___ .
A. physical context B. grammatical context
C. lexical context D. linguistic context
4. "Smith is an architect. He designed World Trade Centre." The clue provided in the context is____
A. definition B. explanation C. example D. hyponymy
5. We can work out the meaning of “heliocentric” and “geocentric” according to
A. morphological structure B. relevant details
C. grammatical structure D. physical context
5. What causes the ambiguity of the sentence "I like Mary better than Janet"?
A. Vocabulary. B. Situation. C. Structure. D. None of the above.
6. Grammatical context refers to_____in which a word is used.
A. vocabulary B. grammar
C. semantic pattern D. syntactic structure
6. When a word with more than one meaning is used in unclear context, it creates___
简答：What is the role of context?
分析：Study the following sentence, paying special attention to the words in italics. If you find anything wrong, please explain why and then improve the sentence. The police were ordered to stop drinking about midnight.