- 欢迎您访问自学考试网！ 今天是
Section 1: Choose the word or phrase that is closest in meaning to the underlined part (20%).
1. Thesubjugationof the western Hemisphere to his will
2. The Republicandominationof congress meant President Clinton, a Democrat, was in a disadvantageous position in his policy making.
3. He walked to his roomcautiouslybecause he heard strange sounds in it.
4．Harry feltdrowsywhile he was listening to jazzy.
5．This book gives apanoramaof life in England 400 years ago.
6．It is our firmconvictionthat every effort should be made to preserve world peace.
7．President Bush will be unable to pass a new constitution without theassentof parliament.
8. It has beenestablishedthat she was not at the scene at the time of the crime.
a. a. set up
b. b. settled
c. c. converted
d. d. ascertained
9. I suppose laziness is one of thefrailtiesof human nature.
a. a. peculiarities
b. b. characteristics
c. c. weaknesses
d. d. identities
10. The police arespeculatingthat the suicide bombers may be linked to a terrorist organization.
a. a. confirming
b. b. guessing
c. c. contemplating
d. d. subsiding
11. I was so annoyed that I feltimpelledto write a letter to the local newspaper.
a. a. compelled
b. b. discouraged
c. c. exhausted
d. d. exhilarated
12. All kinds offunctionalfurniture are sold in this supermarket.
13. They tried to make themselves heard over thedinof the crowd.
14. That is the mostincrediblecoincidence that I have ever heard.
15. He is a man ofinbredcompetitiveness.
16. Large areas of land have beencontaminatedby the leakage from the nuclear reactor.
a. a. corrupted b. discolored
c. polluted d. decayed
17. With three goals in the first period they had asecurevictory, but somehow they lost.
18. His tension wasveiledby casual remarks.
a. a. concealed b. inspired