- 欢迎您访问自学考试网！ 今天是
I. Read the following unfinished statements or questions carefully. For eachunfinished statement or question four suggested answers marked A, B, C andD are given. Choose the one you think best completes the statements or
answers the question.
1. All criminal trials are held in open court because the criminal lawpresumes the _____ of the accused until he has been proved guilty beyondreasonable doubt.
2. The jury consists of ordinary, independent citizens summoned by thecourt: 12 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and ____ in Scotland.
3. People between the ages of _____ and 70 (65 in Scotland) whose namesappear on the electoral register, with certain exceptions, are liable forjury service and their names are chosen at random.
4. Youth Courts try most cases involving people under _____.
5. The Crown Court sits at _____ centers and is presided over by High Court
Judges, full-time Circuit Judges and part-time Recorders.
6. The main courts of civil jurisdiction in England and Wales are the County
Courts of which there are _____.
7. In Northern Ireland civil cases up to the value of ￡_____ are dealt with
in county courts.
8. There are _____ police forces in England and Wales, 8 in Scotland and one
(the Royal Ulster Constabulary) 9n Northern Ireland.
A. 40 B. 41
C. 42 D. 43
9. Police officers are not allowed to join ____ or to go on strike.
A. a club
B. a trade union
C. a political party
D. the army
10. There are about 130 prison establishments in England and Wales and some
20 in Scotland, many of which were built in the ____ century.
1. C 2. D 3. A 4. B 5. C 6. A 7. B 8. D 9. B 10. D